23/02/12: Giant pompoms making


I am spending some time thinking about which flowers to choose for the commission. I like thinking through making. I really like the 'pompom'-esque hollyhocks from the last post so I decided to experiment with making giant pompoms which could be joined together to collectively make a huge hollyhock,


I used 8-12 strands of yarn to wrap with.


The pompom circle is 45cm in diameter and the central hole is 15cm across.


I did 3 rounds of wraps.




I learnt that the central hole needs to be smaller than usual rather than proportional to a normal pompom. This is because otherwise when you tie off the pompom the stands all gather together making the diameter drastically smaller than the original size. Also in future I would do more wraps to make a fuller pompom.



While I was thinking I also made a crocheted flower using 10 strands of yarn to see how big it turned out. To get a bigger bloom I will need a bigger crochet hook and more strands of yarn.