Project Overview


I was commissioned by Red Nile Projects, as part of their Factory Nights series of unique commissions, to create new work based on the Stoke-on-Trent National Garden Festival Park site which opened in 1986. I visited the now underused park as part of Red Nile Factory Nights event in August 2011 and took part in a tour led by Anna Francis, an artist and local expert on the history of the park. I was inspired by Anna's collection of Woman’s Weekly magazines from 1986 containing information on the park and the two gardens that they sponsored on the original site, a cottage garden and a wildflower garden. I was interested in the connection between wool crafts and gardening in the magazine that was reflected in my work. I applied for a commission to create giant blooms that continued on from my giant daffodils and further explored how the work could engage people with a place.


The work was installed on a hill in the festival park overlooking Morrison's and the retail park on Saturday 14th April 2012 and explored using the giant blooms to engage the public with the park by encouraging the viewer to look up at the flowers and wonder what lay beyond. I also worked with members of the public at Airspace Gallery and on the festival park site to make mini crochet, knit and pompom flowers to stage a secondary installation in the park. The event and the workshops were a huge success and the project as a whole has provided me with inspiration, ideas and new directions for future work.

Read on in this section of the blog for photos and stories from the installation and workshop and to see the making process of the giant blooms.